This is the best orange cream cheese frosting recipe you’re going to find. Why? It’s simple, easy to make and includes Grand Marnier–that’s why!
Sometimes you just want a little change.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The other day I made a pumpkin carrot cake, as I often do, but this time I made it in a 2 layer cake form. I added a little less white and brown sugar, omitted the coconut and only added two dashes of cinnamon. For some reason, I thought about flavoring the cream cheese frosting with orange. This is probably because I found frozen orange zest that needed to be used!
You could actually switch out the orange for any citrus flavor. Use lemon rind, lemon liqueur and lemon oil for a lemon frosting! There are so many possibilities. You can also add the frosting to this moist pineapple carrot cake, too!
You may also enjoy this Whole Orange Cake~
If you love orange flavored desserts, I really think you’ll be smitten with this frosting! Try it on vanilla cupcakes, a carrot sheet cake, or any other way you use cream cheese frosting.
Let’s just say it passed the taste test from me, my husband and lots of neighbors.
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 oz butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Grand Marnier liqueur
- 2 drops orange oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 14 ounces powdered sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until well-mixed.
- Add vanilla, liqueur, orange oil and orange zest, then add the powdered sugar. Mix slowly, increasing the speed until all of the sugar is incorporated and frosting is smooth. If too thick add a little milk or water.
- Use as desired.
Serving Size:3 tbsp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 11gCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 1g
Changes I made to the cake: 25g less white sugar, 10 g less brown sugar, omit coconut, only 2 dashes of cinnamon. Bake 25 to 30 minutes before checking with a cake tester.
- 2 cups (285g) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) melted butter
- 1/2 cup (115g) light olive oil
- 2 cups (200g) grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups (340g) canned, or cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup (70g) shredded coconut (organic is best, propylene glycol free)
- Sift the first 5 (dry) ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, then add the oil and butter, and mix well. Next, add the grated carrots, pumpkin and coconut and mix until combined.
- Now add the sifted ingredients and stir until mixed well.
- Put paper cupcake liners in a pan, then fill with batter about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350º F (175º C) about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Place on cooling rack; meanwhile, make the icing.
- Beat cream cheese and butter; then beat in the vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pipe or spread onto cupcakes, as desired.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 14gCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 5g
Christina’s Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
best orange cream cheese frosting