Cucumber pinwheels, or cucumber and cream cheese sandwich rolls, are always a huge hit, no matter where or when you serve them. Great for picnics, bbqs, school or work packed lunches, afternoon tea or even a light dinner!
Originally published August 7th, 2012.
When my daughter had to bring a dish to share with her class in elementary school, these cucumber pinwheels were always the most requested item. Yes, even more than cupcakes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
They are very simple and delicious, and if you like traditional cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, you’ll love the rolled version, also.
You’ll need lavash bread, so make sure you can find it (Trader Joe’s carries it in LA) before attempting to make these. It is a traditional, Middle Eastern flatbread (unleavened) and it looks like this:
You may also enjoy this cucumber and ham sandwich!
If you’re having a picnic, check out my wine and bottle picnic sticks on my Amazon page. I saw them at a Shakespeare play and had to have them! They hold a bottle of wine and two glasses when you’re on the grass! This cold cucumber soup is perfect for hot days, especially when you have lots of cucumbers growing in the garden.
Cucumber and Cream Cheese Sandwich Rolls (Cucumber Pinwheels)
Recipe by Christina Conte Makes 16 rolls
FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW
Special equipment: Sandwich picks. I use these.
Peel and thinly slice the cucumber.
Lay a piece of lavash bread on your workspace and spread some cream cheese evenly (as shown in the picture) leaving one of the short ends with some empty space.
Next, layer the cucumber slices over the cream cheese.
Begin rolling the bread by the short end, but not the end with the space. Roll it tightly, not allowing any air gaps to form. I’m taking a photo which is why I’m doing it with one hand, but if you use two hands it’s MUCH easier! :)
Keep the seam side down when you finish rolling.
Serve the cucumber pinwheels immediately for best results, or refrigerate, for just a few hours.
The sandwich rolls should be made and eaten within a few hours after removing from the fridge for the best flavor and texture.
These cucumber and cream cheese sandwich rolls are perfect for a summertime lunch, brunch or a picnic outing. I made the cucumber pinwheels you see in the photos to take to the beach in Malibu last week!
- 4 pieces lavash bread
- several Persian cucumbers, or a large English cucumber
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- Peel and thinly slice the cucumber.
- Lay a piece of lavash bread on your workspace and spread some cream cheese evenly (as shown in the picture) leaving one of the short ends with some empty space.
- Next, layer the cucumber slices over the cream cheese.
- Begin rolling the bread by the short end, but not the end with the space. Roll it tightly, not allowing any air gaps to form.
- Cut the cucumber and cream cheese sandwich roll with a sharp serrated knife (wipe with a damp paper towel between cuts) into four equal pieces. Secure with a long sandwich pick.
- Serve the cucumber pinwheels immediately for best results, or refrigerate, for just a few hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 450Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 636mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is only estimated.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.