Making pie pastry in under a minute is possible with a food processor! This easy recipe will take the major work out of making a pie crust.
This recipe was originally published on November 30th, 2011.
Okay, so by the time you take out the flour, weigh it (or measure it) and then pull a couple of sticks of butter from the fridge, you might actually be at TWO whole minutes! However, the actual cutting in the butter and adding the water to make the pie pastry is done in less than a minute.
This post may contain Amazon Affiliate links for your convenience at no additional cost to you.
I took out my food processor today (which I rarely use due to having a Vitamix) and was so utterly amazed at how easy and quickly that baby makes pastry!
In addition to be a quick recipe, you won’t believe how much better a homemade pie crust tastes. It also will not have any questionable ingredients. (I made you a pin for your Pinterest baking board.)
How to Make Pie Pastry in Under One Minute
1 lb flour (approx. 3 1/2 cups) + 8 oz cold, unsalted butter (2 sticks) + 1/8 tsp salt
(if you use salted butter, omit the salt). As usual, I highly recommend a scale for best results. Cups are too unpredictable and results will always vary.
Place all the ingredients, with the cold butter cut into chunks, into the food processor.
A few pulses and the butter is mixed in.
Then add a little ice water; a few more pulses and it is ready to roll (literally)!
Your pastry should look like this, and sort of come together, but still be somewhat crumbly when ready. Don’t add too much water, though, as it will make the crust tough. Shape the pie pastry into a ball, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
Roll out the pie pastry and use as desired for savory dishes or sweet. If you want to use it for a sweet pie or tart, you can add a teaspoon or even less of sugar, to make it a little more suited for a dessert filling. (See the Strawberry Tart recipe posted below).
Use as desired.
Don’t miss another post! Sign up for my FREE subscription below.
(I promise not to sell or share your info, ever!)
- 1 lb flour (approx. 4 cups)
- 8 oz unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- ⅛ tsp salt (if you use salted butter, omit the salt)
- (optional for a sweet pie, like a fruit or dessert pie: 1 tsp or less sugar)
- Place all ingredients into food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add a little ice water, a few more pulses and it is ready to roll (literally)!
- Your pastry should sort of come together, but still be somewhat crumbly when ready. Don't add too much water, though, as it will make the crust tough. Shape into a ball, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Use as desired, baking according to pie recipe directions.