Homemade tzatziki sauce is a simple cucumber and greek yogurt sauce even a child can make. So tasty and great to use as a dip, too.
When I first started this blog, I wrote a recipe post for gyros and tzatziki sauce and was just winging it as I truly had no idea what I was doing (meaning the blogging part, not the cooking part)!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sharing two different recipes in one post makes it very confusing when it comes to searching for recipes, so today I am re-sharing my tzatziki sauce recipe separately from the gyro recipe, along with some updated photos. Click the photo below for the recipe.
I hope that you’ll love this sauce as much as I do. It’s so simple to prepare, and as it is made with Greek yogurt or labne, is quite nutritious, too. Don’t just use it on gyros or falafel as it’s great as a dip with veggies, or instead of mayonnaise in wraps and sandwiches.
I’ve been making this so long, I don’t remember the original source! Makes 2 cups
FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW
Place the grated cucumber in a colander and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Place a plate and weight on top to press out the liquid, for 20-30 minutes.
Drain, then squeeze the cucumber in a kitchen towel (or a strong paper towel) to remove the rest of the liquid.
Next, place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well, and refrigerate until ready to use.
This sauce is best chilled for at least three hours before serving.
It’s definitely a must with gyros!
Donât miss another post! Sign up for my free recipe and travel subscription!
I promise not to sell or share your info, ever.
- 16 oz Greek yogurt or Labne
- 1 medium cucumber or about 3 Persian cucumbers, grated
- Kosher or sea salt
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- (optional - a dash or two of garlic powder or salt)
- Place the shredded cucumber in a colander and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Place a plate and weight on top to press out the liquid, for about half an hour.
- Drain, then squeeze the cucumber in a kitchen towel or strong paper towel to remove the rest of the liquid.
- Next, place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well, and refrigerate until ready to use. This sauce is best chilled for at least three hours before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 72Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is only estimated.
Christinaâs Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.