Fried bread isn’t exactly something you need a recipe for, but sometimes the simplest things are the best!
What exactly is a “naughty breakfast”?
Well, I exercised “moderation” today, and indulged in some bacon fat.
I said it.
I’m not ashamed.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, maybe I am, just a little–because I probably shouldn’t have fried my piece of homemade bread in the bacon fat–but it was SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! The bread became so crispy and was full of bacon flavor. And that egg was just perfect on top! However, I only had one egg when I could easily have had two, so I actually could have been even more naughty.
I know now that it’s all my father’s fault, “Try some fried bread”, he said. I was only a little girl, how was I to know? I tried it and I loved it. That was it, I was hooked.
Meet my crazy Dad as he shows you how to make his favorite pasta dish!
This isn’t only a British thing, though; I hear they’re naughty “down south” too, so I’m in good company. Even Bon Appètit featured an article named, 15 Ways to Use Bacon Fat, so maybe I’m being a little hard on myself.
I haven’t had fried bread in years, honest. So if I only make it, say–once every 5 years, then it’s okay, right? I’d say it’s perfectly permissible to be naughty once in a while.
Excuse me while I go mark my calendar.
Fried Bread (British Style)
- bacon (I use naturally cured, nitrate/nitrite free)
- bread, preferably homemade
- salt and pepper, to taste
Fry the bacon, reserving the fat in the (preferably cast iron) pan.
Next, fry the bread and egg in the bacon fat, side by side. The bread should turn a lovely golden brown color; cook the egg as desired (or you can soft-boil it, poach it, etc.)
Place the fried bread on a plate and top with the egg, and a side of bacon.
Serve immediately with a steaming, hot mug of tea.
If you’re into fried eggs for breakfast, you may also be interested in my recipe for potato scones (which aren’t really scones at all). These are also incredibly delicious when fried in bacon grease!
Don’t miss another recipe or travel post; sign up for my free subscription below!
I promise not to sell or share your info, ever.
- 2 rashers bacon (I use naturally cured, nitrate/nitrite free)
- 1 slice bread, preferably homemade
- 1 egg, cage free, organic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry the bacon, reserving the fat in the (preferably cast iron) pan.
- Next, fry the bread and egg in the bacon fat, side by side. The bread should turn a lovely golden brown color; cook the egg as desired (or you can soft-boil it, poach it, etc.)
- Place the fried bread on a plate and top with the egg, and a side of bacon.
- Serve immediately with a steaming, hot mug of tea.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 243mgSodium: 1457mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g
Christina’s Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.