Dried citrus zest is a perfect way to save citrus rind/peel. When you grow organic citrus fruit, it’s a shame (or a sin) to throw away the beautiful peel!
My mother kept grating the zest from my navel oranges and Meyer lemons and freezing it in little packages when she was here over the winter.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It can be used “as is”, but you could also put it in a mortar and pestle to powder the zest. We’ve since used it in cakes, cookies, and even to decorate cupcakes.
It couldn’t be any easier, just grate, dry and store! If you don’t have a dehydrator, just put the zest in the oven after it’s cooled significantly after use. How great would a little jar of zest be as a gift, too? Possibilities are endless.
Dried Citrus Zest
recipe by Christina Conte
- your choice of organic, oranges, lemons, limes, or grapefruit
Special equipment: fine grater like these
pic of lemon and graters
Carefully grate the zest from the fruit and place on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
Place in oven on dehydrate setting, or when almost cool after being in use. Check after 10 minutes, mix if needed, keep in until crisp and dry. Alternatively, use a dehydrator. Remove from oven when dry and crisp. We did orange and lemon on the same tray here.
Cool completely before placing in a completely dry, airtight container.
Store in pantry or decorate with a ribbon and/or label and give as gifts.
- organic citrus fruit (oranges, lemons, grapefruit or limes)
- Carefully grate the zest from the fruit and place on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Place in oven on dehydrate setting, or when almost cool after being in use. Check after 10 minutes, mix if needed, keep in until crisp and dry. Alternatively, use a dehydrator. Remove from oven when dry and crisp.
- Store in airtight container.
Special equipment needed: fine grater
Serving Size:1/16 tsp
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 5 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 0g
Christina’s Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.