Rhubarb granita is a flavor you probably won’t find in Italy, but trust me when I tell you that you will love this icy treat! Sweet and sour comes together beautifully, and is even better with whipped cream.
Last year, I finally shared a strawberry granita recipe. It’s one of my favorite recipes that I discovered (or was forced to try, haha!) whilst traveling.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m so grateful to my Uncle Nino for not only taking me to Sicily in the first place, but insisting that I try the traditional Sicilian breakfast of granita with a fluffy brioche! I never would have tasted it if it wasn’t for him.
The three flavors that were served in the bar where my uncle took me in that little hilltop village outside of Messina were lemon, coffee, and strawberry granita. I have made strawberry and lemon granita, but got an amazing idea to try making rhubarb granita last year!
It was fabulous, and despite the fact that there are virtually no searches for “rhubarb granita” on Google, I have to share this recipe with you! It’s a dream, especially for rhubarb lovers and when served with freshly whipped cream!
Rhubarb Granita with Whipped Cream
recipe by Christina Conte serves 8
FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW
Start by making sure you have space for a metal pan in the freezer.
Place the rhubarb, lemon juice and sugar in a pot.
Begin over low heat, then turn up to medium and stir often, keeping an eye on the pot with the lid on. It will cook quickly.
Lower the heat if it simmers too fast (it can boil over easily). After a few minutes, it will look like this.
And after another few minutes, it will be ready.
Let cool, then chill for about 2 hours or until cold. Put the rhubarb compote in a blender, or use an immersion blender to process to a purée.
Mix the rhubarb purée and the water then pour into a metal pan and place in the freezer.
Begin setting a timer for 45 minutes intervals. When the timer sounds, remove the pan from the freezer and stir well with a fork. The first time, it will seem like it’s not working, but it’s okay.
Put the pan back into the freezer. Continue this for at least 4 or 5 times or until the granita is ready.
You will know when you have ice crystals instead of a solid mass. It will also become lighter in color.
Garnish with a piece of rhubarb coated in sugar. Keep it dairy-free by serving as-is.
If you are serving it with cream, top the rhubarb ice with freshly whipped, unsweetened cream as I show with a strawberry granita here, using an iSi gourmet whip.
If you really want the authentic Sicilian experience, then make some brioche and dip it into the cream and granita!
Honestly, it’s so wonderful!
- about 4 cups (500 g) rhubarb, chopped (if using cups, chop first, then measure, but I highly recommend using a scale)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- (optional: 8 oz whipping cream, whipped until thick)
- Start by making sure you have space for a metal pan in the freezer.
- Place the rhubarb, lemon juice and sugar in a pot and cook until soft. Let cool, then chill for about 2 hours or until cold.
- Put the rhubarb compote in a blender or use an immersion blender, and process to a purée.
- Mix the rhubarb purée and the water then pour into a metal pan and freeze.
- Begin setting a timer for 45 minutes intervals. When the timer sounds, remove the pan from the freezer and stir well with a fork. The first time, it will seem like it's not working, but it's okay. Put the pan back into the freezer. Continue this for at least 4 or 5 times or until the granita is ready. You will know when you have ice crystals instead of a solid mass.
- Transfer to clear serving glasses or dessert bowls, if serving immediately. If not, move the granita to a sealed container and keep frozen.
- If you are serving it with cream, top the rhubarb ice with freshly whipped, unsweetened cream. Serve with a Sicilian brioche for an authentic experience.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 97Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 0g
Nutrition info is only an estimate.
Christina’s Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.