Broccoli and cauliflower salad, when made Italian-style, is an easy, healthy, and delicious four-ingredient side dish you can make in minutes.
If you’re bored of the same old side dishes, then you’ll be delighted to add this Italian-style broccoli and cauliflower salad to your rotation.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you to Melissa’s Produce for supplying the broccoli and cauliflower (I was not compensated for this post).
You may think something is missing in this salad, and I’ll be the first to admit that it doesn’t look like a show-stopping side dish. However, as is the case with so many Italian recipes, simplicity and the quality of ingredients is key. Try to buy organic broccoli and cauliflower whenever possible.
Do you know that this is one of the healthiest types of salad you can eat? Both broccoli and cauliflower are cruciferous vegetables, which are very heart-healthy and contain antioxidants! Thank you to Melissa’s Produce for supplying me with the ingredients for this broccoli and cauliflower salad recipe. You’ll see this brand in your grocery store (look for the orange carrot in the logo).
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad (Italian Recipe)
family recipe by Christina Conte serves 6
FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW
- sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- (optional – a few dashes of dried oregano)
Special equipment (not necessary, see notes) steamer basket for pot
Wash the broccoli and cauliflower, and cut into bite-sized florets.
Steam the broccoli until tender/crisp about 5 minutes.
Remove broccoli and place into a large bowl.
Next add the cauliflower to the steamer basket.
Steam the cauliflower until just cooked, about 4 minutes. (Use a skewer or wooden spoon for easy handling of the basket.) No one likes mushy broccoli and cauliflower salad, so check each veg sooner than too late.
Remove and place the cauliflower into the same bowl as the broccoli.
Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Next, add the lemon juice over the broccoli and cauliflower salad.
Toss to mix well, taste and re-season the salad as needed (add the dried oregano, if using.)
Put the salad into a serving dish.
Add more oil or lemon juice to taste. Keep the broccoli and cauliflower salad refrigerated if not serving immediately.
Sign up for my free subscription and never miss another post.
- about 1 lb (half a head) cauliflower
- about 1 lb broccoli
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (see notes below)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or more
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- (optional - a few dashes of dried oregano)
- Wash the broccoli and cauliflower, and cut into bite-sized florets.
- Steam the broccoli until tender/crisp about 5 minutes. Remove and place into a large bowl.
- Steam the cauliflower until just cooked, about 4 minutes. Remove and place into the same bowl as the broccoli.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then add the lemon juice.
- Toss to mix well, taste and re-season as needed. Add more oil or lemon juice to taste, too.
- Measurements are not critical in this recipe.
- You can steam the vegetables together, BUT you will more than likely have one of the veg overcooked, or undercooked. Follow the recipe for best results.
- Do not add all of the salt at once. You can always add more, but you cannot remove it.
- If you do not have a steamer, you can cook the vegetables in a pot with a little water in the bottom and get the same results. Just make sure the water doesn't steam dry.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is only estimated.
Christina’s Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.